- Carbohydrates provides energy and regulation of blood glucose.
- It will prevent the degradation of skeletal muscle and other tissues such as the heart, liver, and kidneys.
- It prevent the breakdown of proteins for energy.
- Carbohydrates also help with fat metabolism. If the body has enough energy for its immediate needs, it stores extra energy as fat.
- Carbohydrates are an important component of many industries like textile, paper, lacquers and breweries.
- Detoxification of physiological importance is carried out to some extent with carbohydrate derivatives.
- Agar is polysaccharide used in culture media, laxative and food.
- Carbohydrates form a part of genetic material like DNA and RNA in the form of deoxyribose and ribose sugars.
- Hyaluronic acid found in between joints acts as synovial fluid and provides frictionless movement.
- They help make up the body mass by being included in all the parts of the cell and tissues.
- Adequate storage of hepatic glycogen helps in detoxifying a normal liver.
- They form components of bio-molecules which have a key role in blood clotting, immunity, fertilization etc.
- Carbohydrates is basically the main fibre of the diet or provide the bulk fibre for better digestion.
- Carbohydrates help clear gut and prevent constipation.
- Starch is the form the food is stored in plants.
- It provides sweetness to foods.
- Pectine and Hemiceliulose are the structural carbohydrate in plant cell walls.
- It plays important roles in cellular recognition processes.
- Chitin forms the cell wall of fungi and the outer schelitone of insects.
- Murine is a structural carbohydrate in bacterial cell wall.
Join A-Level Biology today
Not a premium member yet? Join today and get all of the revision materials you could possibly need to pass your exams, including:
- Comprehensive exam question booklets
+ over 800 quiz questions
- Revision mindmaps covering 50+ topics
- 40+ PowerPoint lessons
- Condensed, easy-to-follow revision notes
- AQA, Edexcel and OCR curriculum
- New specification from 2015