- Carbohydrates provides energy and regulation of blood glucose.
- It will prevent the degradation of skeletal muscle and other tissues such as the heart, liver, and kidneys.
- It prevent the breakdown of proteins for energy.
- Carbohydrates also help with fat metabolism. If the body has enough energy for its immediate needs, it stores extra energy as fat.
- Carbohydrates are an important component of many industries like textile, paper, lacquers and breweries.
- Detoxification of physiological importance is carried out to some extent with carbohydrate derivatives.
- Agar is polysaccharide used in culture media, laxative and food.
- Carbohydrates form a part of genetic material like DNA and RNA in the form of deoxyribose and ribose sugars.
- Hyaluronic acid found in between joints acts as synovial fluid and provides frictionless movement.
- They help make up the body mass by being included in all the parts of the cell and tissues.
- Adequate storage of hepatic glycogen helps in detoxifying a normal liver.
- They form components of bio-molecules which have a key role in blood clotting, immunity, fertilization etc.
- Carbohydrates is basically the main fibre of the diet or provide the bulk fibre for better digestion.
- Carbohydrates help clear gut and prevent constipation.
- Starch is the form the food is stored in plants.
- It provides sweetness to foods.
- Pectine and Hemiceliulose are the structural carbohydrate in plant cell walls.
- It plays important roles in cellular recognition processes.
- Chitin forms the cell wall of fungi and the outer schelitone of insects.
- Murine is a structural carbohydrate in bacterial cell wall.
If you're ready to pass your A-Level Biology exams, become a member now to get complete access to our entire library of revision materials.
Join over 22,000 learners who have passed their exams thanks to us!
Sign up below to get instant access!Join now →
Or try a sample...
Not ready to purchase the revision kit yet? No problem. If you want to see what we offer before purchasing, we have a free membership with sample revision materials.
Signup as a free member below and you'll be brought back to this page to try the sample materials before you buy.Download the samples →